The Open House – Fully Hosted Bed & Breakfast Accommodation on Kangaroo Island
Parndana – Heartland of Kangaroo Island
"The Place of Little Gums" was established in 1963 to service the booming farming community of the time. The soldier settlement scheme, which had began in 1948 almost doubled the area of land under agriculturalon the Island.
The first families arrived in March 1948. The ex-soldier families lived in primitive conditions – huts from the Loveday Internment Camp. There were 174 soldier settlers. The first settlers moved onto their allocated farms in 1951.
Parndana is often described as a typical smal Australian country town, there is a small shopping centre with a 7 day bakery, three churches and a community hotel.
Take time to look around the area. The road verges provide an ideal habitat for wildlife and, in late winter and spring, are covered with wildflowers. On Easter Sunday, the community conducts a street carnival featuring local produce and crafts.
We have named all the rooms in The Open House after the first farms in dedication to the pioneers who faced the hardship of early settlement in such a remote location.
- Bakery open 7 days
- Fresh Fruit & Veg
- Hotel – Lunch & Evening Meals
- Fuel, Perol & Deisel (NO LPG)
- B-B-Q Facilities
- 2 ATM
- Post Office
- Settlement Museum
- Parndana Wildlife Park
- Cellar Doors
- Roo Lagoon Gallery
Kangaroo Island Map – The Open House Parndana Kangaroo Island